Thursday, January 1, 2009

Scooby's Trail Adventure


This is Scooby our nine year old yellow lab. I've had him since he was the size of a toaster. He is a phenomenal trail dog. When he was a bit younger he could keep up with me for two to three hours while I was on a mountain bike. Other than getting sprayed by a skunk on Stid Hill several years ago our outings have been uneventful...well, there was that one time when he came charging out of some bushes in Tryon Park, slammed into my front wheel on my mountain bike and sent us flying. He made the wheel look like a taco and we walked on out.

A couple of days ago I took the ol' flea bag out for a trail run in Victor. Ten minutes in I hear a yelp behind me but didn't pay it any mind until I stopped for a break au naturale. It looked like a thorn tore the end of his ear wide open. He was bleeding like a stuck pig and as his ear flopped from his neck to his head he sprayed blood everywhere. He looked like a yellow lab with a cardinal's head.

I took him home and luckily Kitima had just returned from work. After trying to stanch the blood flow with pressure, unsuccessfully, she busted out her bag of tricks. I held him down as she quickly put in three stitches. I'm still impressed at how fast and confident she did this. Scooby didn't even flinch.

Below are a couple of pictures of the stitches...didn't think to snap a photo of when he was Scooby the dog of Horror.



In no time at all he was up and running and raring to go.



Below the good doctor takes the stitches out.



"When are we going for a trail run? Huh? Can we go? Now? How about now? I don't have the copay. Woof!"




Kitima and I dragged our buts out the door today in the 16 degree cold and Scooby was in his element. Below he is chasing tossed snowballs atop a snowbank. They must taste amazing.



Scooby and I below.


Doctor and patient all happy again!










No comments: