Friday, May 22, 2009

Wallyworld is closed

If you are a Seinfeld fan you remember the episode where Elaine dances: horribly and replete with thumb thrusts and spasmodic kicks. Jerry finally calls her on it.
"But I love to dance," she said.
"That's not helping!" Jerry admonishes.

I love climbing on my bike. Not sure if I've got some subconscious tic going on with a stray left elbow or wayward tongue jab but if I do would someone let me know.

This morning I headed out of Lake Placid and descended the hills into Wilmington, hung a left and started climbing the Whiteface Mountain Highway. It was cool and cloudy: arm warmer weather.

About fifteen minutes in I hit Santa's Workshop. It was desolated. I think the elves had to take a few forced weeks off due to the economy.
"All I want for Christmas is the ability to climb."
I continued to climb until I arrived at the toll booth and I saw the sign prohibiting bicycles. The polite toll booth lady informed me I could only climb it before nine in the morning or after 5:15 at night. I had to turn around.
"You made it up the steepest part," she said with that infinite cheer of a Disney employee.
Off I descended and then made the ten or so miles back to Placid climbing the hills that are on the last ten miles of each IMLP bike loop.

The Au Sable river was loaded with people drowning flies.
I'm thinking that if you do the Whiteface Mountain bike race you might want compact cranks or at least a 27-tooth cog in the back. Bring your road bike or descending will be a bit dodgy.
Kitima got back from her ride and now we are off to scope out some lunch.


No comments: